Taking Your Lorry Abroad

41 views This article is copyright free and is published in Business Opportunities » Business
Joined: Sep 02, 2016
1589 articles
Getting delivery work abroad can be a great opportunity to clock up thousands of extra miles but you値l need to make sure that you have all your paperwork in order before you set off.

Here is my overview of some of the permits and authorisations you値l need to take your lorry abroad for delivery work.

Passports, visas, driving licences

It may sound obvious but while many drivers think about the permits they need for their vehicles, it can be easy to overlook the documents you池e going to need for yourself.

キ Check that your passport is valid for the entire duration of your job
キ Check whether any of the countries you値l be travelling through require a visa
キ Check drivers hours and tachograph requirements for each country you will be driving through
キ Check whether you will need an International Driving Permit (remember this does not replace your UK licence, you are required to carry both).

All hauliers driving abroad must obtain a Standard International Operator痴 Licence; you may also request a Community Licence for delivery work throughout the EU.

To drive in the EU you must also hold a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) on top of your vocational driving licence.

Health Insurance and Medical Documents

Some countries hold drivers legally responsible for the goods they are carrying so it痴 a good idea to leave a copy of legal and medical documents with friends or family that you can contact outside of office hours, just in case.

You must have valid insurance and it痴 worth carefully checking the small print for any exemptions which might apply before you set off. You should be covered for medical, personal liability, legal expenses and 24-hour emergency assistance.

If you are driving in the EEA and Switzerland then you should also carry a European Health Insurance Card.

Documents You Must Carry

There are certain documents that other countries require, by law, that you must carry while driving goods vehicles. These include:

キ Vehicle registration documents
キ Vehicle insurance documents
キ Green Card some countries require this as proof of minimum insurance cover
キ Insurance for goods in transit in some countries
キ Goods vehicle operator痴 licence
キ Community licences
キ Vehicle tax sometimes you will be asked to pay a vehicle tax; there is an exemption for UK haulage drivers in some countries so it痴 important to display a GB sticker

Cabotage Within the EU

Cabotage allows you to carry out a limited amount of delivery work within EU member states if you are a UK haulier, have Community Authorisation and it follows on from a journey where goods were carried from the UK.

Drivers may be liable to pay VAT on cabotage delivery work in the member states and so should register for VAT there.

Bilateral Road Haulage Permits

Several countries outside of the UK have agreed to allow hauliers to travel to or through their countries if they hold the relevant permit so check if this applies to your journey.

European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) Mulitlateral Road Haulage Permits

This is another permit which allows drivers to cross into other countries using the ECMT multilateral permit scheme for journeys between member states.

ECMT International Removal Permits

This is for hauliers who need to remove goods between or across ECMT countries.

This overview is intended only as a guide it is important that you do your own research before driving abroad. While there is a substantial amount of documentation required you値l find there are a number of government agencies on hand to help. So make sure you follow their advice and are clear on the requirements of each country you will be driving through before you set off.

About author: Desiree Michels

Norman Dulwich is a Correspondent for Haulage Exchange, the leading online trade network for the road transport industry. Connecting logistics professionals across the UK and Europe through their website, Haulage Exchange provides services for matching delivery work with available drivers. Over 4,000 transport exchange businesses are networked together through their website, trading jobs and capacity in a safe 'wholesale' environment.

Other article from Business

Safety First: Direct Vision Standards Being Set for HGVs
A freight exchange is a great way to source drivers but once you致e brought them into your fleet you池e going to want to ensure that they meet rigid safety standards and the best way to do that is to introduce an effective safety incentive scheme. I say ...
View by 44 people
Posted by Desiree Michels in ,
Safety First: Direct Vision Standards Being Set for HGVs
Anyone who has carried out delivery work in HGVs around the capital will know how challenging the constant traffic, combined with cyclists and pedestrians, can be on London痴 busy streets. But now Transport for London (TfL) is attempting to do something to ...
View by 35 people
Posted by Desiree Michels in ,
Top Tips for Audio Visual Rentals in Houston
When it comes to events, one of the most important elements is the audio visual equipment. It allows you to convey your message to the attendees. With the right audio visual rentals Houston provider, you will be able to engage audiences and make the event ...
View by 95 people
Posted by Kyle Crum in ,
The Value of Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery is amongst the most effective and crucially healthcare procedures in the world. That is providing somebody a second opportunity to appear regular or achieve their normalcy and in lots of circumstances to be additional gorgeous. People ...
View by 50 people
Posted by Kyle Crum in ,
Trailerlock: A Revolution in Hold Safety
We have had some laughs this month, but now it is time for a serious talk about safety. In haulage work, protecting your goods against theft is of primary importance. No one wants their freight stolen! To ensure your vehicle痴 safe-keeping, try using the new ...
View by 55 people
Posted by Desiree Michels in ,